Afton, Isle of Wight
Afton, a village 2 miles S of Yarmouth, Isle of Wight. Afton House adjoins it, on a pleasant slope toward the Yar. Afton Down rises in the south-eastern neighbourhood, overhangs the English Channel, has an altitude of about 600 feet, and is crowned by tumuli.
Online maps of Afton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
The Visitations of Hampshire, 1530, 1575, & 1622-34 is available to view on the Heraldry page.