Ballidon, a small village, a township, and a chapelry in Derbyshire, near the North Stafford railway, 6 miles W by N of Wirksworth. Ashborne is the post town; money order and telegraph office, Parwich. Acreage, 1947; population, 87. The living is a chapelry annexed to the vicarage of Bradbourne, in the diocese of Southwell. The church is good, and was thoroughly restored and enlarged in 1883.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Church of England
The chapel of All Saints, a building of stone, situated in a field, affords in its structure unmistakable evidence of the existence of a chapel here in Norman times, prior to its subjection in 1205 to the Priory of Dunstable, as one of the chapelries of Bradbourne: it consists of a chancel, nave and a western bell cot, containing one bell: the chancel is entered by a plain semi-circular Norman archway, the south doorway of the nave being of the same date: the east window and two others on the south side are Perpendicular: the former was filled with stained glass in 1894 by S. Berisford, in memory of his father: in 1882-3 the church was thoroughly restored and a vestry and south porch were added at a cost of £570; in 1889-90 a further sum of £34 was expended: there are sittings for 82 persons.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Ballidon from the following:
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Derbyshire is online.
Online maps of Ballidon are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Derbyshire papers online: