Wilstone, a hamlet in Tring parish, Herts, 2 miles NNW of Tring. It has a church erected in 1877, a building of brick and stone in the Early English style, and a Baptist chapel. Straw-plait is manufactured.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||St. Albans|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Wilstone from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Wilstone)
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hertfordshire is online.
Online maps of Wilstone are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hertfordshire newspapers online:
- Hertford Mercury and Reformer
- Herts Guardian, Agricultural Journal, and General Advertiser
- Watford Observer
The Visitations of Hertfordshire, 1572 and 1634. Edited by Walter C. Metcalfe, F.S.A. is available on the Heraldry page.