Tittenhanger or Tyttenhanger, Hertfordshire
Tittenhanger or Tyttenhanger, a hamlet in the ecclesiastical parish of London Colney, and the civil parish of St Peter, Herts, 3 miles ESE of St Albans. Tittenhanger Park, the property of the Earl of Caledon, is a mansion of red brick which was erected in 1654 from designs by Inigo Jones. A seat of the Abbots of St Albans was here, and was given by Henry VIII. to Sir T. Pope, the founder of Trinity College, Oxford.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Barnet|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Tittenhanger or Tyttenhanger from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Tittenhanger)
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hertfordshire is online.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hertfordshire newspapers online:
- Hertford Mercury and Reformer
- Herts Guardian, Agricultural Journal, and General Advertiser
- Watford Observer
The Visitations of Hertfordshire, 1572 and 1634. Edited by Walter C. Metcalfe, F.S.A. is available on the Heraldry page.