Aston upon Trent, Derbyshire
Aston-upon-Trent, a parish and a large village in Derbyshire, on the verge of the county, near the Grand Trunk Canal, and the river Trent, 1 mile from Weston-on-Trent station on the M.R., and 6 miles SE by S of Derby, under which it has a post office; nearest money order and telegraph office, Shardlow and Weston (R.S.) Acreage, 1899; population, 548. There are large gypsum pits here. Aston Hall is the seat of the Holdens. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Southwell; net value, £960 with residence. The church, which is ancient, was restored in 1848, 1863, and 1873, and contains numerous mural tablets to the Shuttleworth and Holden families, and a beautiful reredos and pulpit, &c. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Aston-upon-Trent All Saints
|Morleston and Litchurch
|Poor Law union
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at Aston-upon-Trent 1667-1812, Derbyshire, is available to browse online.
The register dates from the year 1667.
Church of England
All Saints (parish church)
The church of All Saints is a building of local stone, consisting of chancel with north, aisle or chapel, clerestoried nave of three bays, aisles, north and south porches and an embattled western tower with pinnacles containing a clock and 5 bells; the first three are dated respectively 1590, 1594 and 1661; the remainder were added, one in 1847 and the tenor in 1873: a curious Saxon cross is built into the exterior of the west end of the south aisle: the lower half of the tower is Late Norman, with the exception of one Transition window of the time of Henry II.: the arcades of the nave and those of the chancel aisle, consisting of two arches, exhibit progressive stages of the Early English period: of the same style is the font, consisting of a massive octagonal basin on a large circular pillar with four small detached shafts: the east window in the north aisle and those of the south aisle are Early Decorated, one near the east end having curious ogee headed canopies with interesting carved bosses in the jambs: the three south windows of the chancel are Early Perpendicular: the other windows in the north aisle, the clerestory and the upper stage of the tower, which is embattled and pinnacled, are of a later Perpendicular style: there is a piscina, and the outline of a leper window on the south side of the chancel: in the north aisle of the nave is an altar tomb of alabaster, with the recumbent figures of a man and his wife hand in hand, in the costume of the first half of the 15th century; and there are numerous mural tablets, chiefly to the Holden and Shuttleworth families, and dating from the 17th century to the present time: the east window and seven others are stained: the reredos and pulpit, of Devonshire marble, are beautiful specimens of modern stonework in the Decorated style, and have canopied niches with figures in full relief: the church was restored in 1848 and 1863 and the chancel in 1873 by the late E. A. Holden esq. and the organ was enlarged in March, 1881: there are 320 sittings.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Aston upon Trent from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Aston-Upon-Trent (All Saints))
- Kelly's Directory of Derbyshire, 1899
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Derbyshire is online.
Online maps of Aston upon Trent are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Derbyshire papers online: