Puckeridge, a village in Standon and Braughing parishes,. Herts, near the river Rib, 6½ miles NNE of Ware, and 1 mile from each of the stations at Standon and Braughing on the Buntingford branch of the G.E.R. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Ware, a Congregational. chapel, a Church of England school and lecture-room erected in 1862, which is served by the Vicar of Standon, and it had formerly a chantry, erected in the time of Edward II. The parish of Standon has a parish council of seven members.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Berkhampstead|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Puckeridge from the following:
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hertfordshire is online.
Online maps of Puckeridge are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hertfordshire newspapers online:
- Hertford Mercury and Reformer
- Herts Guardian, Agricultural Journal, and General Advertiser
- Watford Observer
The Visitations of Hertfordshire, 1572 and 1634. Edited by Walter C. Metcalfe, F.S.A. is available on the Heraldry page.