Panshanger, the seat of Earl Cowper, in St Andrew parish, Herts, on the river Mimram, 2½ miles W by N of Hertford. The mansion is a grand castellated building of grey stone, enlarged and "Gothicized" by the architect Atkinson about 1801. It contains some interesting family portraits and a very valuable collection of paintings, chiefly of the Italian and Dutch masters. The park, which contains about 500 acres, is crossed by the river Mimram, which expands here into a lake, and has an oak nearly 20 feet in girth at 10 feet from the ground.
Online maps of Panshanger are available from a number of sites: