Oxhey, a hamlet and an ecclesiastical parish, partly in Watford and partly in Bushey parishes, Herts. The hamlet is, in fact, the pan of Watford which lies S of the Colne. The ecclesiastical parish was formed in 1879. Population, 3344. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £240 with residence. The church, erected in 1880 at a cost of a£6000, is in the Early English style. Oxhey Chapel, which stands midway between Bushey and Pinner stations, is a small building of brick containing some ancient monuments and tombs, and a reredos of wood very elaborately carved, dating from the early part of the 17th century.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||St. Albans|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Oxhey from the following:
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hertfordshire is online.
Online maps of Oxhey are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hertfordshire newspapers online:
- Hertford Mercury and Reformer
- Herts Guardian, Agricultural Journal, and General Advertiser
- Watford Observer
The Visitations of Hertfordshire, 1572 and 1634. Edited by Walter C. Metcalfe, F.S.A. is available on the Heraldry page.