Old Hall Green, Hertfordshire
Old Hall Green, a place in the E of Herts, 1 mile SE of Puckeridge, 1 W of Standon, and 5 miles NNE of Ware. It has a post office under Ware; money order and telegraph office, Puckeridge. The Roman Catholic College of St Edmund here was originally founded in 1799 at Hare Street. The chapel of the college, with the refectory and library, were designed by A. W. Pugin. The college has some 14 professors and about 120 students. There are also a small Roman Catholic chapel for the village and a Roman Catholic burial ground.
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hertfordshire is online.
Online maps of Old Hall Green are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hertfordshire newspapers online:
- Hertford Mercury and Reformer
- Herts Guardian, Agricultural Journal, and General Advertiser
- Watford Observer
The Visitations of Hertfordshire, 1572 and 1634. Edited by Walter C. Metcalfe, F.S.A. is available on the Heraldry page.