Ashford, a village and a parish in Derbyshire. The village stands on the river Wye, in a charming situation, surrounded by high hills nearMonsal dale, 1 mile from Longstone railway station, and 2 NW of Bakewell, under which it has a post and money order office, and it carries on a trade in marble. Mills for cutting, turning, and polishing marble were erected in its vicinity in 1748, and are the oldest establishments of their kind in England. Marbles of many tints, but chiefly black and grey, are found in the neighbourhood, about 40 feet beneath the surface, in beds from 3 to 9 inches thick, and are manufactured at the mills into a great variety of ornamental articles. Ashford Hall is the seat of the Clifford Smith family, and the manor belongs to the Duke of Devonshire. Church Dale, Thornbridge, and the Rookery are mansions in the parish. A spot near the church was the site of the mansion of Edward Plantagenet of Woodstock, Earl of Kent, now traceable only by the moat. In this parish the curfew, and the pancake bell on Shrove Tuesday, may still be heard. The acreage is 2554; population, 661. The living is a vicarage, annexed to that of Sheldon, in the diocese of Southwell; joint gross yearly value, £260 with residence. Patron, the Vicar of Bakewell. The church is ancient, and was restored in 1869-70. There is a chapel for Methodists.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Bakewell|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register dates from the year 1688.
Church of England
Holy Trinity (parish church)
The church of the Holy Trinity, now chiefly in the Decorated style, consists of chancel, nave, north aisle, south porch and a low embattled tower at the west end containing 3 bells, one of which is dated 1612, and there is also a sanctus bell: the curfew may still be heard here, as well as the pancake bell, rung at 11 a.m. on Shrove Tuesday: the tower is probably in part of the 13th century, although its battlements and pinnacles are of a much later date: the tower, including the roof and pinnacles, was thoroughly restored in 1901 at a cost of £120: the chancel has a niche on the north side used as a credence table, and in the vestry is a chest and chairs of 17th century work: the pulpit is of fine old oak, probably Jacobean: the font is octagonal, with panels inclosing plain shields: over the inner door of the porch is a piece of early sculpture, supposed to represent a wild boar under a tree, and another animal resembling a wolf: on the south side of the church are the remains of an ancient cross, consisting of three ranges of octagonal stone steps and a base about two feet in height: a chantry was founded in this church on the feast of the Purification, 1257, by Griffin, son of Wenunwyn, who then held this manor: the once almost universal custom in English villages of hanging up funeral garlands in the church for deceased maidens is still preserved here, and five of these still hang from the beams of the north aisle, one to Anne Howard being dated 1747, And another to Ann Swindel, 1798: there are brasses to Lord George Henry Cavendish M.P. North Derbyshire, d. 23 Sept. 1880, and to three of his sons, Henry George, 68th Regiment (Durham Light Infantry), d. 9 Nov. 1865; Arthur, R.N. d. 13 March, 1858, and Walter Frederick, Rifle Brigade, d. at Agra, 26 Nov. 1866, and one to the Rev. W. G. Giles, late vicar; there are also three stained windows: the church was restored in 1867-70 at a cost of £1,600, and in 1890 a sum of £300 was expended in extensive repairs to the roof and in replastering, painting and decorating the walls: there are 300 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Ashford from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Ashford)
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Derbyshire is online.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Derbyshire papers online: