UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

Newgate Street or Tolmers, Hertfordshire

Historical Description

Newgate Street or Tolmers, a hamlet and a chapelry in Hatfield parish, Herts, near the boundary with Middlesex, 4 miles W of Cheshuut station on the G.E.R., and 6 SE of Hatfield, with a post office under Hertford; money order and telegraph office, Little Berkhampstead. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £80 with residence. The church, dedicated to the Virgin Mary, was built and endowed by Mr Thomas Mills; is a handsome, small, cruciform edifice in the Early English style; and has fine stained glass windows and a carved stone pulpit. A new chancel was erected in 1887 by the Mills family.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Land and Property

A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hertfordshire is online.


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hertfordshire newspapers online:


Visitations Heraldic

The Visitations of Hertfordshire, 1572 and 1634. Edited by Walter C. Metcalfe, F.S.A. is available on the Heraldry page.