New River, Hertfordshire
New River, an artificial cut in Herts and Middlesex, formed in 1606-13 by Sir Hugh Myddleton for supplying the metropolis with water. It commences at several springs in the south-eastern vicinity of Ware; draws further supplies from the Lea at Broxborne; runs altogether about 36 miles windingly southward; has upwards of 43 sluices and 200 bridges; and is received at Hornsey and Stoke Newington into extensive reservoirs for distribution through the metropolis. The formation of it cost about £500,000, and notwithstanding aids from Parliament and from London, so impoverished Sir Hugh Myddleton as to reduce him for the rest of his life to a state of penury.
Online maps of New River are available from a number of sites: