New Barnet, Hertfordshire
Barnet, New, is a suburban town in the parishes of East and Chipping Barnet, Herts, and in the ecclesiastical parish of Lyonsdown, formed in 18G9. It has a station on the G.N.R., and a post, money order, and telegraph office. Here are the works of the Barnet District Gas and Water Company. The church is an edifice of coloured brick in the Decorated style, erected in 1864. The living is a perpetual curacy; net yearly value, £218 with residence, in the gift of trustees. There is also a chapel of ease in the East Barnet Road, and Baptist, Presbyterian, and Wesleyan Methodist chapels, and a Congregational Brethren's liall.
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hertfordshire is online.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hertfordshire newspapers online:
- Hertford Mercury and Reformer
- Herts Guardian, Agricultural Journal, and General Advertiser
- Watford Observer
The Visitations of Hertfordshire, 1572 and 1634. Edited by Walter C. Metcalfe, F.S.A. is available on the Heraldry page.