UK Genealogy Archives logo

Long Marston, Hertfordshire

Historical Description

Marston, Long, an ecclesiastical parish, which was formed in 1867 out of the civil parish of Tring, Herts, and Marsworth parish, Bucks, 1 mile SE by S of Marston Gate station on the L. & N.W.R.,and 3½ miles NW by N of Tring. It has a post office under Tring; money order office, Tring; telegraph office, Cheddington. Population, 440. The limits include Long Marston and Gubblecote hamlets, with Betlow lordship. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £185 with residence, in the gift of Christchurch College, Oxford. The church, erected in 1883, is a building of stone in the Gothic style, containing some portions of the old church, which was taken down, with the exception of the tower, in 1882. There are Baptist and Wesleyan chapels.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyHertfordshire 
Civil parishTring 
HundredDacorum 
Poor Law unionBuntingford 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Long Marston from the following:


Land and Property

A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hertfordshire is online.


Maps

Online maps of Long Marston are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hertfordshire newspapers online:


Visitations Heraldic

The Visitations of Hertfordshire, 1572 and 1634. Edited by Walter C. Metcalfe, F.S.A. is available on the Heraldry page.

DistrictDacorum
CountyHertfordshire
RegionEastern
CountryEngland
Postal districtHP23
Post TownTring