Leavesden Green, Hertfordshire
Leavesden Green, a village in Watford parish, and an ecclesiastical parish (Leavesden) formed in 1853, partly also in St Stephen parish, Herts, and consisting of the hamlets of Leavesden Green, Garston, and Bricket Wood. Population, 3666. The village stands 3 miles N from Watford station on the L. & N.W.R. It has a post and money order office under Watford; telegraph office. Abbots Langley. The Metropolitan Asylum for pauper imbeciles stands in this parish. It is a building of white brick, standing in grounds of 85 acres, and it has accommodation for 2000 inmates. At Leavesden Woodside are also the St Pancras Parish Schools for the training of pauper children. These stand in grounds of about 37 acres, and afford accommodation to about 800 children. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St Alban's; net value, £150 with residence. Patron, the Vicar of Watford.. The church, erected in 1853, is a building of flint in the Early English style, and is situated at Garston. There is also a Baptist chapel at Leavesden Green. Munden, High Elms, Buchnalls, The Stanboroughs, Garston, Kytes, Woodside, and Kingswood are chief residences.
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hertfordshire is online.
Online maps of Leavesden Green are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hertfordshire newspapers online:
- Hertford Mercury and Reformer
- Herts Guardian, Agricultural Journal, and General Advertiser
- Watford Observer
The Visitations of Hertfordshire, 1572 and 1634. Edited by Walter C. Metcalfe, F.S.A. is available on the Heraldry page.