Langley Bury, Hertfordshire
Langley Bury, a village and an ecclesiastical parish in the civil parishes of Walford and Abbots Langley, Herts. The village stands about 1½ mile S from King's Langley station on the L. & N.W.R., 3½ miles NW by N from Walford, and near the Grand Junction Canal. There is a post office at Hunton Bridge; money order and telegraph office, King's Langley (R.S.O.) Population of the ecclesiastical parish, 679. Langley Burn House was built by Chief Justice Raymond, passed to the Whittingstalls, and is now the seat of the Lloyd family. It stands on an eminence, in a beautiful park of about 220 acres. Hazel Wood is also a chief residence. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £217 with residence. A handsome church was erected in 1864, at the expense of the late Mr W. Jones Lloyd; is in the Early Decorated English style, of square flints and Bath stone; comprises nave, N aisle, chancel, vestry, and porch, with tower and broach spire 130 feet high; and includes, on the S side of the chancel, a mortuary chapel of the Lloyd family. There is also a Baptist chapel.
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hertfordshire is online.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hertfordshire newspapers online:
- Hertford Mercury and Reformer
- Herts Guardian, Agricultural Journal, and General Advertiser
- Watford Observer
The Visitations of Hertfordshire, 1572 and 1634. Edited by Walter C. Metcalfe, F.S.A. is available on the Heraldry page.