High Cross, Hertfordshire
High Cross, a village and an ecclesiastical parish in Standon civil parish, Herts. The village stands 3 miles SW from Standon station on the G.E.R., and 3 N from Ware. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Ware. Colliers End, Wadesmill, and High Cross are hamlets. Population of ecclesiastical parish, 689. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St Albans; gross yearly value, £158 with residence. The church, erected in 1847, is a building of grey stone in the Decorated style.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Ware|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for High Cross from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (High-Cross)
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hertfordshire is online.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hertfordshire newspapers online:
- Hertford Mercury and Reformer
- Herts Guardian, Agricultural Journal, and General Advertiser
- Watford Observer
The Visitations of Hertfordshire, 1572 and 1634. Edited by Walter C. Metcalfe, F.S.A. is available on the Heraldry page.