Colney St Peter, Hertfordshire
London Colney or Colney St Peter, a large village and an ecclesiastical parish in Herts. The ecclesiastical parish was formed in 1826 out of the parishes of St Albans, St Peter, Shenley, and Ridge. Population, 979. The village is situated on the river Colne, 3 miles E from Radlet station on the M.R., and 3½ SE from St Albans. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office under St Albans. The manor belongs to the Earl of Caledon. Tyttenhanger Park is a fine mansion erected in 1654 from designs by Inigo Jones. It contains a chapel consecrated in 1864, a valuable collection of paintings, a fine library, and a rich collection of old china, coins, medals, &c. There are several good villa residences in the parish. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St Albans; gross value, £125 with residence. Patron, the Earl of Caledon. The church, erected in 1825, is a plain rectangular structure of brick in the Gothic style. There are a Baptist chapel and some small charities. Bowman's Green and Tyttenhanger are adjacent hamlets.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||St. Albans|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Colney St Peter from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (London-Colney)
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hertfordshire is online.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hertfordshire newspapers online:
- Hertford Mercury and Reformer
- Herts Guardian, Agricultural Journal, and General Advertiser
- Watford Observer
The Visitations of Hertfordshire, 1572 and 1634. Edited by Walter C. Metcalfe, F.S.A. is available on the Heraldry page.