Colney Heath, Hertfordshire
Colney-Heath, a village and an ecclesiastical parish in the parishes of St Peter, St Stephen, and Ridge, Herts, on the river Colne, 3 miles SE of St Albans. Smallford station on the G.N.R. is in this parish. It was constituted in 1847, and its post town is St Albans, which is the money order and telegraph office. Population, 853. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; value, £300 with £53 from Queen Anne's Bounty, and residence. The church is a building of brick in the Byzantine style, and there are small Baptist and Wesleyan chapels.
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hertfordshire is online.
Online maps of Colney Heath are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hertfordshire newspapers online:
- Hertford Mercury and Reformer
- Herts Guardian, Agricultural Journal, and General Advertiser
- Watford Observer
The Visitations of Hertfordshire, 1572 and 1634. Edited by Walter C. Metcalfe, F.S.A. is available on the Heraldry page.