Chipperfield, a village in King's Langley parish, Herts, near the Grand Junction Canal, 3 miles W from King's Langley station on the L. & N.W.R., and 4½ N from Rick-mansworth. It has a post and money order office under King's Langley (R.S.O.); telegraph office, Sarratt. Together with the hamlets of Common Wood, Bucks Hill, and Chandlers Cross it was constituted an ecclesiastical parish in 1863.. Population, 1029. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St Albans; net yearly value, £250. The church is a small building of flint in the Early English style.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Civil parish||King's Langley|
|Poor Law union||Hemel-Hempstead|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Chipperfield from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Chipperfield)
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hertfordshire is online.
Online maps of Chipperfield are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hertfordshire newspapers online:
- Hertford Mercury and Reformer
- Herts Guardian, Agricultural Journal, and General Advertiser
- Watford Observer
The Visitations of Hertfordshire, 1572 and 1634. Edited by Walter C. Metcalfe, F.S.A. is available on the Heraldry page.