UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

Cashio, Hertfordshire

Historical Description

Cashio, a hamlet in Herts. The hamlet is in Watford parish, and lies adjacent to Watford town, the river Gade, and the L. & N.W.R. It bears also the name of Cashiobury, and it occupies the site of an ancient town of the Cassii, and was given by King Offa to St Alban's Abbey. Cashiobury Park, immediately N of it, belonged once to the Morrisons and the Capels, and is now the seat of the Earl of Essex. The mansion is a Tudor edifice, containing many fine family portraits, and the park is spacious, and was laid out by Le Notre.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyHertfordshire 
Civil parishWatford 
HundredCashio 
LibertySt. Albans 
Poor Law unionWatford 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Cashio from the following:


Land and Property

A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hertfordshire is online.


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hertfordshire newspapers online:


Visitations Heraldic

The Visitations of Hertfordshire, 1572 and 1634. Edited by Walter C. Metcalfe, F.S.A. is available on the Heraldry page.