Boxmoor, an ecclesiastical district in Hemel-Hempstead parish, Herts, on the Grand Junction Canal and the L. & N.W.R., 2½ miles NW by N of Kings-Langley. It has a station on the railway, and a post, money order, and telegraph office under Hemel-Hempstead. Population, 4210. The scenery in the neighbourhood of the railway station is very rich and beautiful, and the moor, whence the name is taken, is extensive, and cannot be built upon. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St Albans; gross yearly value, £280 with residence. The church is a building of stone in the Early English style, and has been enlarged since its erection in 1874. There is also a Baptist chapel. A public hall was erected in 1889-90 at a cost of £1300.
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hertfordshire is online.
Online maps of Boxmoor are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hertfordshire newspapers online:
- Hertford Mercury and Reformer
- Herts Guardian, Agricultural Journal, and General Advertiser
- Watford Observer
The Visitations of Hertfordshire, 1572 and 1634. Edited by Walter C. Metcalfe, F.S.A. is available on the Heraldry page.