Apsley End, Hertfordshire
Apsley End, an ecclesiastical parish, which was formed in 1873 from the parishes of Hemel Hempstead, Abbots Langley, and Kings Langley, Herts. It is 1½ mile SE from Boxmoor station on the L. & N.W.R., and the same distance S from Hemel Hempstead. It includes most of the hamlets of Nash Mills and Two Waters, and has a post and telegraph office under Hemel Hempstead. Population, 1301. The church, which seats 400, is a building of flint and stone in the Early Decorated style, was erected in 1871. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St Albans; value, £284 with residence, in the gift of Trustees. Abbot's Hill and Nash Mills House are country seate.
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hertfordshire is online.
Online maps of Apsley End are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hertfordshire newspapers online:
- Hertford Mercury and Reformer
- Herts Guardian, Agricultural Journal, and General Advertiser
- Watford Observer
The Visitations of Hertfordshire, 1572 and 1634. Edited by Walter C. Metcalfe, F.S.A. is available on the Heraldry page.