Allestree, a parish in Derbyshire, near Derwent river and the M.R., 2 miles N of Derby, under which it has a post office; money order and telegraph office, Quarndon. Acreage, 1163; population, 571. The chief residence is Allestree Hall, standing in a park of 100 acres. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Southwell; net value, £245. The ancient church of St Edmund, which was rebuilt and enlarged in 1866-67, contains tombs of the Mundys, and is very good. There is a Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Allestree St. Andrew|
|Hundred||Morleston and Litchurch|
|Poor Law union||Belper|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at Allestree 1595-1812, Derbyshire is available to browse online.
The register dates from the year 1596, and is in fair condition; there is also a volume of churchwardens' accounts from 1618.
Church of England
St. Edmund (parish church)
The church of St. Edmund, an edifice of stone in the Early English style, was rebuilt and considerably enlarged in 1866-7 by the late Sir T. W. Evans bart. at a cost of about £6,000; and consists of chancel, nave, aisles, south porch and a low tower at the west end containing a clock and 3 bells, dated respectively 1790, 1781 and 1711: the only parts of the old church now remaining are the south doorway, parts of the eastern wall and the tower; the doorway is a very good example of Late Norman, the unique carving of the jambs illustrating, it is supposed, the parable of the Sower: the tower is mainly Early English of the 13th century: on the south side of the chancel is a piscina with trefoiled head, and in the north wall, under a sepulchral arch, is a floriated incised cross probably coeval with the south doorway: the old font, handed over to a neighbouring incumbent, has been unfortunately destroyed: in the chancel are many monuments to the family of Mundy, of Markeaton, from 1615 to 1836, and in the north chancel chapel others of modern date to the Evans family: there are 348 sittings.
Primitive Methodist Chapel
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Allestree from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Allestree (St. Andrew))
- Kelly's Directory of Derbyshire, 1899
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Derbyshire is online.
Online maps of Allestree are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Derbyshire papers online: