UK Genealogy Archives logo

Alkmonton, Derbyshire

Historical Description

Alkmonton, a township and a village formed in 1849, with the liberty of Hungry Bentley, into a parish called the chapelry district of Alkmonton, in Derbyshire. The township lies 5 miles from Tutbury railway station, and 6 S by E of Ashborne. Post town, Longford, under Derby; telegraph offices, Tutbury and Ashborne. The area of the township is 715 acres; population of the civil parish, 60; of the ecclesiastical, 142. A chapel and an hospital were founded here in 1474 by Lord Mountjoy, but are now extinct. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Southwell; net value, £110 with residence, in the gift of the Evans family, who are lords of the manor and sole landowners. The church, which was thoroughly restored in 1878, is very good.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyDerbyshire 
Civil parishLongford 
HundredAppletree 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Church Records

The register of baptisms dates from 1850, of marriages from 1855, and of burials from 1856.

Ancestry.co.uk, in conjunction with the Derbyshire Record Office, have the Church of England Baptisms (1538-1916), Marriages and Banns (1538-1932), and Burials (1538-1991) online.


Churches

Church of England

St. John (parish church)

The church of St. John, erected in 1843, chiefly at the cost of the late William Evans esq. and consecrated by Bishop Lonsdale in 1848, is a building of flint and stone, in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and a western turret containing one bell: the circular Norman font, the sculptures upon which have been destroyed, was dug up in Cockshut Croft in the course of excavations on Alkmonton Old Hall farm in this parish: in 1878 the church underwent a thorough restoration, when the chancel was added, the porch rebuilt, and a bell turret added: in 1908 the chancel was restored and panelled in oak: there are memorial windows to Robert and Ann Dearden, to Sir Thomas William Evans bart. (d. 1892), and to the Jeffrey family: there are 160 sittings.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Alkmonton from the following:


Land and Property

A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Derbyshire is online.


Maps

Online maps of Alkmonton are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Derbyshire papers online:

DistrictDerbyshire Dales
CountyDerbyshire
RegionEast Midlands
CountryEngland
Postal districtDE6
Post TownAshbourne