Mortimers Cross, Herefordshire
Mortimers Cross, a township in Aymestrey parish, Herefordshire, on the river Lugg, 5¼ miles NW of Leominster. A severe battle, decisive in favour of the Yorkists, was fought here in Feb., 1461, between the Yorkists under Edward Mortimer, Earl of March, afterwards Edward IV., and the Lancastrians under the Earl of Pembroke, and is commemorated by a pillar erected in 1799.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Mortimers Cross from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Mortimer's-Cross)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Herefordshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Herefordshire newspapers online: