Laysters or Leysters, Herefordshire
Laysters or Leysters, a village and a parish in Herefordshire, adjacent to Worcestershire, 4½ miles SSW of Tenbury, and 5 NE of Leominster. Post town, Tenbury. Acreage of the civil parish, 1995; population, 200; of the ecclesiastical, 190. A moated seat of the priors of Sheen was here. A tumulus is near the church. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Hereford; net value, £220 with residence. The church is ancient. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Laysters St. Andrew
|Poor Law union
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Laysters or Leysters from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Laysters (St. Andrew))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Herefordshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Herefordshire newspapers online: