Wreay, a village, a township, and an ecclesiastical parish in Carlisle St Mary parish, Cumberland, with a station on the L. & N.W.R., 5½ miles SSE of Carlisle. There is a post office under Carlisle; money order and telegraph office, Carlisle. Acreage of the township, 1111; population, 160; of the ecclesiastical parish, 491. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Carlisle; net value, £300 with residence. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter, who are also lords of the manor. The church was built in 1843, is in the Byzantine style, and consists of chancel, nave and turret. There is a partially endowed school and a parochial library.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Carlisle|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Wreay from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cumberland is available to browse.
The Visitation of Cumberland, 1615 is available on the Heraldry page.