UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

Kemerton Upper and Lower Courts, Herefordshire

Historical Description

Kemerton Upper and Lower Courts, have descended from early Plantagenet times through the family of Clare, Musgrose, Mortimer, Fitz-Allan, Beauchamp, Neville, Ligon, Huys, and Parsons, to the 18th century, when they passed by marriage to the present possessors, the Hoptons of Canon-ffrome, Herefordshire. Excellent freestone is quarried. There are several mills, worked by water. A British camp, the most northern of a long line stretching along the crest of the Cotswolds from Clifton Down, is on the summit of Bredon Hill. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol; net value, £320 with residence. Patron, St Bartholomew's Hospital, Gloucester. The church, excepting the tower, was rebuilt in 1847, is in the Decorated style, and consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with porch and tower. There are Wesleyan and Roman Catholic chapels.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Herefordshire is available to browse.