Hampton Court, Herefordshire
Hampton Court, a seat in Hope-under-Dinmore parish, Herefordshire, on the river Lugg, 4¼ miles SSE of Leominster. It belonged to the Coningsbys, and passed by marriage to the fourth Earl of Essex, by whose son it was sold to the Arkwright family, and remains in their possession. It was originally built by Sir B. Lenthall, who figured at Agincourt, and, marrying a kinswoman of Henry IV., received this estate as a marriage portion. It was restored by Campbell, is in the castellated style, forms a quadrangle with gatehouse and two towers on the north side, has a chapel with carved timber roof, and stands in an extensive deer park.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Hope under Dinmore
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Hampton Court from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Hampton-Court)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Herefordshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Hampton Court are available from a number of sites: