Belmont, an estate in Clehonger parish, Herefordshire, on the river Wye, 2¼ miles WSW of Hereford. The mansion is situated in a well-wooded park, and commands a fine view of the river Wye. It was built in 1790 of Bath stone in the Gothic style. On the brow of the hill between the mansion and the road is the Roman Catholic pro-cathedral of St Michael and All Angels, erected in 1856 from designs by Pugin, by F. R. Wegg-Prosser, Esq., the owner of Belmont and lord of the manor. It is in the Decorated style, and consists of choir with chapels, clerestoried nave, aisles, north porch, transepts, and a central tower. Both exterior and interior are adorned with a profusion of carvings, and the tracery of the windows and mouldings is very elaborate, the east and west windows contain fine stained glass. A Benedictine monastery is connected with the church by a long cloister.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Herefordshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Belmont are available from a number of sites: