UK Genealogy Archives logo

Wiggonby, Cumberland

Historical Description

Wiggonby, a village in Aikton parish, Cumberland, 5 miles NE of Wigton station on the Maryport and Carlisle railway. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Wigton. An ancient camp, 180 feet square, and planted with fir trees, is near Down Hall. There is an endowed school, founded in 1792 and rebuilt in 1860, with an endowment of about £180 per annum.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyCumberland 
Civil parishAikton 
Poor Law unionWigton 
WardCumberland 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Wiggonby from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cumberland is available to browse.


Maps

Online maps of Wiggonby are available from a number of sites:

DistrictAllerdale
CountyCumbria
RegionNorth West
CountryEngland
Postal districtCA7
Post TownWigton