Weston, an ecclesiastical parish in St Mary Extra parish, Hants, 2 miles ESE of Southampton station on the L. & S.W.R. Post town, Southampton station; money order and telegraph office, Woolston. The parish was constituted in 1865. Population, 304. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Winchester; net value, £145. Patron, the Bishop of Winchester. The church was built in 1865, and is a handsome edifice with a spire. Weston Grove, with a lovely variety of wood, lawn, and water, has been described in a poem by Miss Mitford.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||South Stoneham|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Weston from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Weston)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hampshire (County Southampton) is available to browse.
Online maps of Weston are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hampshire newspapers online:
- Portsmouth Evening News
- Hampshire Telegraph
- Hampshire Advertiser
- Hampshire Chronicle
- Aldershot Military Gazette
The Visitations of Hampshire, 1530, 1575, & 1622-34 is available to view on the Heraldry page.