Whitbeck, a small village and a parish in Cumberland, on the coast, under Black Combe Mountain, 1½ mile N by W of Silecroft station on the Furness railway, and 6½ miles WSW of Broughton-on-Furness. Post town, Bootle (S.O.); money order and telegraph office, Silecroft. Acreage, 4470 of land and 590 of water and foreshore; population, 188. The Earl of Lonsdale is lord of the manor. Much of the land is moor and mountain. A Roman road runs through the parish, and there were three Druidical circles. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Carlisle; net value, £123 with residence. Patron, the Earl of Lonsdale. The church is a small plain building in the Gothic style, consisting of chancel, nave, and bell-gable, and was restored in 1883. There is an almshouse hospital.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Whitbeck St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Bootle|
|Ward||Allerdale above Derwent|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Whitbeck from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Whitbeck (St. Mary))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cumberland is available to browse.
Online maps of Whitbeck are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Villages, Hamlets, &cNewton (Whitbeck)
The Visitation of Cumberland, 1615 is available on the Heraldry page.