Stokes Bay, Hampshire
Stokes Bay, a village in Alverstoke parish, Hants, with a station on the L. & S.D.R., 82 miles from London, and 2 S of Gosport. It has a pier and coastguard station, is the point of steamboat communication with Eyde, and overlooks a famous roadstead, where all ships of war, when fitted with new engines, test their speed at a measured mile.
Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hampshire (County Southampton) is available to browse.
Online maps of Stokes Bay are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hampshire newspapers online:
- Portsmouth Evening News
- Hampshire Telegraph
- Hampshire Advertiser
- Hampshire Chronicle
- Aldershot Military Gazette
The Visitations of Hampshire, 1530, 1575, & 1622-34 is available to view on the Heraldry page.