Stoke Meon, Hampshire
Meon Stoke, a village and a parish in Hants. The village stands on a rivulet 5 miles NE by E of Bishops Waltham station on the L. & S.W.K., and is a pretty place. There is a post and money order office under Bishops Waltham; telegraph office, Droxford. Acreage of the civil parish, 2055; population, 431; of the ecclesiastical, 1050. The manor belongs to Winchester College. A Roman camp is on the NE boundary, and a Roman lamp and Roman pottery were found there in 1834. There are also several barrows. The rivulet on which the village stands runs about 14 miles½south-south-westward to Southampton Water. The living is a rectory, united with the perpetual curacy of Soberton, in the diocese of Winchester; value, £260 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Winchester. The church includes a portion ascribed to William of Wykeham; has his " rose" at the intersections of canopied niches on both side½of the E window; is chiefly Decorated English, with some later portions; has a tower; and contains a late Norman font and two ancient Purbeck marble coffins. The building has been well restored. A curious petrified deposit exists in the churchyard, about 3 feet beneath the surface. There is a Primitive Methodist chapel.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hampshire (County Southampton) is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hampshire newspapers online:
- Portsmouth Evening News
- Hampshire Telegraph
- Hampshire Advertiser
- Hampshire Chronicle
- Aldershot Military Gazette
The Visitations of Hampshire, 1530, 1575, & 1622-34 is available to view on the Heraldry page.