St Denys, Hampshire
Denys, St, a ruined Augustinian priory in South Stoneham parish, Hants, on the river Itchin, adjacent to the S.W.R., 2 miles NNE of Southampton. It was founded by Henry I., and put over nearly all the churches of Southampton by Henry II., yet never was very large or rich. The only remnant of it is an ivy-covered wall, with a piscina.
Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hampshire (County Southampton) is available to browse.
Online maps of St Denys are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)