UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

St Cross, Hampshire

Historical Description

Cross, St, or St Cross Hospital, an extra-parochial place in Hants, on the river Itchin, 1 mile W of Winchester. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Winchester. An hospital was founded here in 1132 by Bishop de Blois, and renovated in 1444 by Cardinal Beaufort; has now an income of about £1900; maintains thirteen poor men, who wear each a long black gown and a silver cross; gives weekly and general doles to other poor persons; and comprises a grand group of ancient buildings. The great gateway is surmounted by a statue of Beaufort. The entrance-court has some ancient offices, now used as a stable, and remains of a large building called the Hundred Men's Hall. The refectory, on the south side of the great quadrangle, has an old timber roof and a minstrel's gallery, and contains a triptych of the adoration of the Magi. The ambulatory, on the east side of the quadrangle, is 135 feet long. The church; on the south side, is cruciform, partly Early English, chiefly Transition Norman, with a central tower one storey high, measures 150 feet from east to west, and 120 along the transepts, and has Tudor stalls, encaustic tiles, stained windows, a fine brass of Archdeacon Campden, and a monument to Mr Speaker Cornwall.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hampshire (County Southampton) is available to browse.


Online maps of St Cross are available from a number of sites:

Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hampshire newspapers online:

Visitations Heraldic

The Visitations of Hampshire, 1530, 1575, & 1622-34 is available to view on the Heraldry page.

RegionSouth East
Postal districtSO23
Post TownWinchester