Whicham, a parish in Cumberland, around Silecroft station on the Furness railway, and 8 miles SW of Broughton-in-Furness. It comprises the village of Silecroft, which has a post, money order, and telegraph office (S.O.) Acreage, 4882 of land and 340 of water and foreshore; population, 455. Nearly two-thirds of the land are moorish waste. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Carlisle; gross value, £240 with residence. Patron, the Earl of Lonsdale. The church is a plain building.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Whicham St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Bootle|
|Ward||Allerdale above Derwent|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Whicham from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Whicham (St. Mary))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cumberland is available to browse.
Online maps of Whicham are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Villages, Hamlets, &cSilecroft
The Visitation of Cumberland, 1615 is available on the Heraldry page.