South Baddesley, Hampshire
Baddesley, South, a tithing-chapelry in Boldre parish, Hants, 2 miles ENE of Lymington station on the L. & S.W.R. Post town, Lymington. Population, 504. A preceptory of Knights Templars, afterwards of Knights Hospitallers, stood at South Baddesley, and the chapel was taken down so late as 1818. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Winchester; gross value, £100. Pylewell Park is a fine residence in the neighbourhood.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Lymington|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register dates from the year 1858.
Church of England
St. Mary (parish church)
The church of St. Mary, built in 1858 at the expense of the late W. P. Williams-Freeman esq. of Pylewell Park, is a plain cruciform building of stone consisting of chancel, nave, transept and a turret with spire containing one bell: it will seat 260 persons.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for South Baddesley from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Baddesley, South)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hampshire (County Southampton) is available to browse.
Online maps of South Baddesley are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hampshire newspapers online:
- Portsmouth Evening News
- Hampshire Telegraph
- Hampshire Advertiser
- Hampshire Chronicle
- Aldershot Military Gazette
The Visitations of Hampshire, 1530, 1575, & 1622-34 is available to view on the Heraldry page.