Redhill, an ecclesiastical parish in Havant and Warblington civil parishes, Hants, on Langston Harbour, at the bridge to Hayling Island, 2¼ miles N of Havant station on the L. & S.W.R. It was constituted in 1840, and its post town is Havant. Population, 596. It sends two members to the parish council of Havant. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester; gross value, £180 with residence. Patron, alternately the Rector of Havant and the Kector of Warblington. The church was built in 1838.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Havant|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Redhill from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Redhill)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hampshire (County Southampton) is available to browse.
Online maps of Redhill are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hampshire newspapers online:
- Portsmouth Evening News
- Hampshire Telegraph
- Hampshire Advertiser
- Hampshire Chronicle
- Aldershot Military Gazette
The Visitations of Hampshire, 1530, 1575, & 1622-34 is available to view on the Heraldry page.