Westward, a large village and a parish in Cumberland. The village stands 3 miles from Curthwaite station on the Maryport and Carlisle railway, and 3½ from Wigton. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Wigton. The civil parish contains Brocklebank, Rosley, Stoneraise, and Woodside, and comprises 13,230 acres; population, 1052. For parish council purposes it is divided into two wards, Westward, Brocklebank, and Stoneraise returning three, and Rosley with Woodside six members to the council. There are red freestone and slate quarries. The manor belongs to Lord Leconfield. Old Carlisle and the Roman Olenacum were here, and an ancient hermitage stood at Islekirk Hall. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Carlisle; net value, £300 with residence. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Carlisle. The church is in Stoneraise, and is a small stone building, consisting of chancel, nave, W porch, and a bell-turret.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Wigton|
|Ward||Allerdale below Derwent|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Westward from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Westward)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cumberland is available to browse.
Online maps of Westward are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Villages, Hamlets, &cBrocklebank
The Visitation of Cumberland, 1615 is available on the Heraldry page.