Newtown near Newbury, Hampshire
Newtown-near-Newbury, a village and a parish in Hants. The village stands on the river Emborne, at the boundary with Berks, 2 miles S by E of Newbury station on the G.W.R. It has a post and telegraph office under Newbury; money order office, St John's. Acreage of parish, 479; population, 221. The manor belongs to the Earl of Carnarvon. Newtown House is the chief residence. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to the rectory of Burghclere, in the diocese of Winchester. The church was rebuilt in 1865, is in the Early English style, of flint and Bath stone, and has an octagonal tower, painted glass windows, polished oak roof, and tessellated pavement. Newts Down, an eminence in the NE of Devonshire 1 mile ESE of Tiverton. It commands a fine view of the town of Tiverton and the valley of the Exe.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Newtown-Near-Newbury St. Mary and St. John the Baptist|
|Poor Law union||Newbury|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Newtown near Newbury from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Newtown-Near-Newbury (St. Mary and St. John the Baptist))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hampshire (County Southampton) is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hampshire newspapers online:
- Portsmouth Evening News
- Hampshire Telegraph
- Hampshire Advertiser
- Hampshire Chronicle
- Aldershot Military Gazette
The Visitations of Hampshire, 1530, 1575, & 1622-34 is available to view on the Heraldry page.