UK Genealogy Archives logo

Muddiford or Mudeford, Hampshire

Historical Description

Muddiford or Mudeford, a village in Christchurch parish, Hants, at the mouth of Christchurch Harbour, 1½ mile E of Christcburch station on the L. & S.W.R., with a post office under Christchurch. It contains lodgings for summer visitors, and commands an excellent bathing beach. Gundi-more, in its vicinity, was formerly the residence of the Rose family, and was visited in their time by Sir Walter Scott, who there wrote part of his " Marmion." A church was built in the village in 1871. Near the village the Stour and Avon flow into the sea in one channel known as " The Run." It is in this " Run " that the famed Christchurch salmon are caught. The fishing is very ancient, and about twenty boats are engaged, each manned by three men.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5


The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyHampshire 
Civil parishChristchurch 
Poor Law unionChristchurch 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.

Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Muddiford or Mudeford from the following:

Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hampshire (County Southampton) is available to browse.

Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hampshire newspapers online:

Visitations Heraldic

The Visitations of Hampshire, 1530, 1575, & 1622-34 is available to view on the Heraldry page.