Moordown, an ecclesiastical parish formed in 1874 out of Christchurch parish, in Hants, 2 miles from Bournemouth station on the L. & S.W.R. It has a post office under Bournemouth; money order and telegraph office, Winton. Population, 4535. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Winchester; value, £250 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Winchester. The church is a stone building in the Early English style. There is a Congregational chapel.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hampshire (County Southampton) is available to browse.
Online maps of Moordown are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hampshire newspapers online:
- Portsmouth Evening News
- Hampshire Telegraph
- Hampshire Advertiser
- Hampshire Chronicle
- Aldershot Military Gazette
The Visitations of Hampshire, 1530, 1575, & 1622-34 is available to view on the Heraldry page.