UK Genealogy Archives logo

Mitchelmersh, Hampshire

Historical Description

Mitchelmersh, a village and a parish in Hants. The village stands 1 mile from Mottisfont station on the L. & S.W.R., and near the river Test or Anton, 3¾ miles N by W of Romsey, and has a post office under Romsey; money order and telegraph office, Romsey. The parish contains also the hamlets of Awbridge and Braishfield. Acreage, 4178; population of the civil parish, 1114; of the ecclesiastical, 382. The scenery is beautiful. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester; value, £340 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Winchester. The church stands on an eminence, is an ancient structure of nint and stone, has been restored, has a—beautiful stained glass E window, and contains a carved oak pulpit, an Early English font, an effigies of a knight in armour, and a tablet of 1538. The vicarages of Awbridge and Braishfield are separate benefices.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyHampshire 
Ecclesiastical parishMitchelmersh St. Mary 
HundredBuddlesgate 
Poor Law unionRomsey 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Mitchelmersh from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hampshire (County Southampton) is available to browse.


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hampshire newspapers online:


Visitations Heraldic

The Visitations of Hampshire, 1530, 1575, & 1622-34 is available to view on the Heraldry page.