Milton (Portsea Island), Hampshire
Milton, a village and an ecclesiastical parish in Portsea Island, Hants. The village lies on Langston Harbour, 2 miles E of Portsmouth, and 1 mile from Fratton station on the L. & S.W.R., and has a post office under Portsmouth. The ecclesiastical parish was constituted in 1844. Population, 8218. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Winchester; value, £250 with residence. Patron, the Vicar of Portsea. The adjoining town of Eastney was incorporated in the parish in 1884. The Royal Marine Artillery Barracks, the Isle of Portsea Union, Portsmouth Lunatic Asylum, and Portsmouth Jail are in the parish.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hampshire (County Southampton) is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hampshire newspapers online:
- Portsmouth Evening News
- Hampshire Telegraph
- Hampshire Advertiser
- Hampshire Chronicle
- Aldershot Military Gazette
The Visitations of Hampshire, 1530, 1575, & 1622-34 is available to view on the Heraldry page.