Watermillock, a village, a township, and an ecclesiastical parish, in Cumberland, on Ulleswater, 3½ miles S by E of Penruddock railway station, and 7 SW of Penrith. It has a post and money order office under Penrith; telegraph office, Pooley Bridge. Acreage of township, 8925 of laud and 873 of water; population, 446; of the ecclesiastical parish, 413. There is a parish council consisting of eight members. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Carlisle; net value, £197, Patron, the Rector of Greystoke. The church was rebuilt in 1884, and consists of chancel, nave, and a western tower. There are two endowed Church of England schools and a Wesleyan chapel. Aira Force, the loveliest waterfall in the Lake District, is in this parish.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Penrith|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Watermillock from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Water-Millock)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cumberland is available to browse.
Online maps of Watermillock are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
The Visitation of Cumberland, 1615 is available on the Heraldry page.