Horadean, a village on the W border of Hants, on the edge of Bereforest, 3 miles WNW of Rowlands Castle station on the L. & S.W.R., and 4 N by W of Havant. It gives an alternative name to Catherington district, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Catherington|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Horndean from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Horndean)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hampshire (County Southampton) is available to browse.
Online maps of Horndean are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hampshire newspapers online:
- Portsmouth Evening News
- Hampshire Telegraph
- Hampshire Advertiser
- Hampshire Chronicle
- Aldershot Military Gazette
The Visitations of Hampshire, 1530, 1575, & 1622-34 is available to view on the Heraldry page.