Waterhead, a township in Lanercost parish, Cumberland, on the river Irthing, 6 miles NE of Brampton Junction station on the N.E.R. Acreage, 5617; population, 248. This place is the site of a large Roman station, and in 1886 a fine Roman altar was found. The Earl of Carlisle is lord of the manor.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Civil parish||Lanercost Abbey|
|Poor Law union||Brampton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Waterhead from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Waterhead)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cumberland is available to browse.
Online maps of Waterhead are available from a number of sites: